Have you ever found yourself saying, “I could really use a snack” and some absurd person says, “Have a piece of fruit!” Sure they mean well but at 3 o’clock in the afternoon, chocolate is the only acceptable answer. Well I figured out how to have a delicious chocolatey snack that’s also pretty wholesome, and I was so excited to share the recipe here that I drew the whole thing. Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup raw hazelnuts
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 15 small chopped dates (or about one heaping cup chopped)
- 1/4 cup strong brewed coffee or water
- Lightly toast the hazelnuts in a pan on the stove. Should take just a few minutes, stirring constantly.
- Put the hazelnuts into a food processor and grind finely
- Add oats, coconut, cocoa powder and salt
- Pulse twice to combine
- Add dates and vanilla and blend for about 60 seconds
- Add coffee (or water) and blend into a thick dough
- Dump the mixture out onto a clean surface and give it a good mush with your hands
- Roll into bonbon-sized balls
- Refrigerate overnight in a sealed container
- Enjoy with a nice hot cup of coffee or tea!